Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Artist Uncertainly


I painted this from a selfie shot. I worked on it over 2 days, about 3 sittings totaling 5-6hrs (how ever it works out with interruptions!)

It's not super refined if you zoom in, but I don't think that matters (look closely at masterworks and you just see paint blotches!) Although there are areas I would work on more if I were to invest another sitting in this (the shirt. Refining the folds of the head scarf, smoothing out the form of the glasses, double checking the luminosity of the ear)

One thing that surprised me was the use of color. In the past 90 days of my daily art habit I've rarely worked in color- just gray-scale (except for the texture studies), so I wasn't sure I could do color work. I did start in gray scale for the larger forms and setting up the highlight and shadows of the image, but transitioned to color in the 2nd sitting. I feel really good about how the color worked out! There is a rainbow of hues in my skin! So incredible when you are up close and really studying the effect of the warm yellow light and the red environment's effect and the purple undertones and the pink of skin in places! Wow.

But there I am. I can't wait to see what I can do in 90 more days of art! I am going to try to increase from a 30 min minimum to at least an hour of art per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment